Skip to main content

Breathing comes in pairs, except for twice, one begins and one's goodbye



Breathing comes in pairs, except for twice, one begins and one's goodbye.......
~The Fray
27 years ago, I took my first breath.
I was welcomed in to this world by two loving, generous and kind parents, and an extended family whose love would know no bound.

27 years later, I have to say goodbye to my Opa, a man whose life could have been taken many times during the war. And yet he lived to tell about it, God had a plan for his life.  He and my Oma embarked on a journey that took great courage and strength. Their love, hard work , and dedication established a family that has extended out in numbers that I imagine they never dreamed.

God knew my name, the hairs on my head, long before I would enter the picture. How blessed I am to have be chosen to be apart of this family.

Though I could imagine a million other ways to celebrate my birthday, one thing remains constant. I will be with my family on my birthday, as I have always done since the beginning. The circumstances may be painful, but we will be with each other and I couldn't ask for anything more.

Thank you Opa for you love, your cheekiness, that grin,your bed time stories, those tractor rides informing me to hold on to my underpants, allowing me a childhood haven where I would learn to imagine, play, dream, pray, and spend some of the best days of my life with the people who mean more to me then anything else in the world.

I love you.

Looking forward to sharing eternity with you in our new home; heaven, the place our hearts have all been waiting for since we first arrived.

So for now, until we met again, I will say goodbye, and see you soon.


Comments

  1. Hi sweet sister.

    I'm sorry for your loss. I'm holding you close in my heart. Call if you feel like talking, or need someone to just listen.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Leaves

"I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end."   ~Jo March,  Louisa May Alcott, Little Women. A few years ago, I upgraded to a new-to-me, used iPhone.  The camera was better, the storage slightly larger for my obsessive hobby of taking photos of things that caught my eye during walks.  (Let me be honest, it happened far too often, but then again, it's who I am!) My friend's husband jokingly asked if it came with a photo album of leaves, or something along those lines. To his credit, it was a witty and hilarious joke that reflected a reality and truth, that all who were present knew very well... Sheena sure loved to post photos of leaves. I can't help it, my breath catches and I want to document the moment, the transition and to share it with others.  The difference between today and tomorrow is everything in this season.  So, I don't want to miss this moment, th...

Hello my old friend

Photo by  Hush Naidoo  on  Unsplash    Friday evening coffee with a friend = a decision to drop by the  Blood Donation Clinic first. They called to say they were in town. Having missed the call, I forgot the message. Until the evening rolled around. I messaged my friend. "Should we do our civic duty  and go give blood before coffee?" "My mother is telling me not to be a wuss... so I guess I have to..." After arriving, we have to answer quite a few interesting  questions to confirm eligibility. Next step, they test your hemoglobin levels. To be eligible to donate, your blood must read 125 & over. 'Prick' My finger now flowing just enough for them to take and test. 124. An option to test the other hand. But they must collect enough for two readings. Both readings must be 125+ 127 120 Not able to donate. Leaving the cubicle, hands empty, my friend's eyes take note, register the fact I am withou...

Waiting for Gilbert

The unfolding of something beautiful is sometimes found in the waiting I went for a walk with a friend a while back along the river. Our goal was to find a independently owned coffee shop/tea house at the next town. As we got closer, we discovered that what we were looking for didn't seem to be found anywhere. We contemplated just going into a pub, but thought, 'no there must be something more.' We carried on walking. Hoping. But seeing nothing. We saw the familiar signs. Starbucks, Costa, Nero. Looking at each other... looking to the other, to decide what to do.... 'Do we just cave in, is there any hope of finding what we were looking for.,,?' We decided to give it a few more minutes,walking a bit further. Something caught our eye. No big sign, nothing to suggest this is it, this is what we had been looking for. Just little things to peak our curiosity, little bits of hope arising. As we got to this door we looked in to discover, a unique coffee sho...