Skip to main content

When the rain comes






I have discovered something- if I allowed the rain to determine if I did something or not, I wouldn't get much done.


For new years day we had planned to go for a walk/scavenger hunt in a park. 
Unfortunately it was quite a rainy day and after some discussion we thought maybe we would just cancel, watch a film instead. 
A friend had to work in the morning and when done was going to join us so we could go on the walk. 
When the text messages were sent out explaining the change, this friend replied that perhaps we should just stick to the plan and go for a walk. Simply grab our wellies, rain jackets  and make the best of it and we would still have fun. 

I loved the shift of perspective, instead of looking at the limitation it was flipped and we saw how we could make the best of it. 
It was one of the greatest days, we were muddy, wet and having such a great time laughing and wandering around discovering hidden nooks with beautiful trees and views. 
         
                      

Since that day I have been thinking of how I can live with this perspective.
So, when I have in my head I am going for a run, if it isn't flood rains, I run.
When the clouds look uncertain while walking with a friend, you come prepared with a rain jacket or umbrella.
You just carry on and live life.

When those moments of disappointment arrive; saying the wrong thing at the wrong time even when your heart was in the right place; failing even when you tried your best.
Or, waiting on the hopes and dreams you have while watching others receive them.

I must ask myself will I let the rain
(hurt,disappointment,fear etc) stop me, or will I put my wellies and rain jacket on.
This revelation has really been stirring in my heart and causing me to reflect on how I need to change the way I view and deal with situations. 
This is a massive challenge for me, but I know it will be worth it
 Going from glory to glory...


Philippians 3:12-16
12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on [h]so that I may lay hold of that [i]for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of theupward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let us therefore, as many as are [j]perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you; 16 however, let us keep [k]living by that same standard to which we have attained.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Leaves

"I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end."   ~Jo March,  Louisa May Alcott, Little Women. A few years ago, I upgraded to a new-to-me, used iPhone.  The camera was better, the storage slightly larger for my obsessive hobby of taking photos of things that caught my eye during walks.  (Let me be honest, it happened far too often, but then again, it's who I am!) My friend's husband jokingly asked if it came with a photo album of leaves, or something along those lines. To his credit, it was a witty and hilarious joke that reflected a reality and truth, that all who were present knew very well... Sheena sure loved to post photos of leaves. I can't help it, my breath catches and I want to document the moment, the transition and to share it with others.  The difference between today and tomorrow is everything in this season.  So, I don't want to miss this moment, th...

Hello my old friend

Photo by  Hush Naidoo  on  Unsplash    Friday evening coffee with a friend = a decision to drop by the  Blood Donation Clinic first. They called to say they were in town. Having missed the call, I forgot the message. Until the evening rolled around. I messaged my friend. "Should we do our civic duty  and go give blood before coffee?" "My mother is telling me not to be a wuss... so I guess I have to..." After arriving, we have to answer quite a few interesting  questions to confirm eligibility. Next step, they test your hemoglobin levels. To be eligible to donate, your blood must read 125 & over. 'Prick' My finger now flowing just enough for them to take and test. 124. An option to test the other hand. But they must collect enough for two readings. Both readings must be 125+ 127 120 Not able to donate. Leaving the cubicle, hands empty, my friend's eyes take note, register the fact I am withou...

Waiting for Gilbert

The unfolding of something beautiful is sometimes found in the waiting I went for a walk with a friend a while back along the river. Our goal was to find a independently owned coffee shop/tea house at the next town. As we got closer, we discovered that what we were looking for didn't seem to be found anywhere. We contemplated just going into a pub, but thought, 'no there must be something more.' We carried on walking. Hoping. But seeing nothing. We saw the familiar signs. Starbucks, Costa, Nero. Looking at each other... looking to the other, to decide what to do.... 'Do we just cave in, is there any hope of finding what we were looking for.,,?' We decided to give it a few more minutes,walking a bit further. Something caught our eye. No big sign, nothing to suggest this is it, this is what we had been looking for. Just little things to peak our curiosity, little bits of hope arising. As we got to this door we looked in to discover, a unique coffee sho...