Skip to main content

An Open Letter to the Bride To Be...

Dearest Katie,
I still remember when you were a little girl.
If I came to say hello to you at recess, you would always greet me with a running hug.
You were my little cousin.
You wanted so badly to be our friend, but the years between us created a separation.
What a privilege to be a volunteer youth leader when you started at Youth group.
I watched you dream, aspire and achieve.
You discovered your gifts, talents and things that excited your heart.

Those were the years I saw you transform from a little girl into a beautiful young lady.
A young lady who I grew to admire.
Whose maturity, integrity, wisdom, love and generosity were well beyond her years.
Eventually the chasm between us in age became less important and the shift happened.
You went from ‘my little cousin’ to my friend.


Friend.
We dreamed.
We laughed.
We drove cars through the country roads and explored Ontario.
You humoured my love for all things Jane Austen, which became a slow trickle that built a well inside of you as you grew to love what I loved about those stories.

'The day', is but a few away, from the moment you will pledge your heart and life to the man who has found himself captivated by all that you are.

And for that I applauded him of his excellent choice in the woman he asked to spend the rest of his days, loving & admiring, learning from, growing and laughing with.

But here is where the wisdom of my experience of life is halted for you.
It was my honour to know the young woman you became, to love you, believe in your gifts and skills.
Cheer for you, encourage and share my heart and the ‘wisdom’ of my years.
To watch as your faith deepened and your relationship with God anchored you.
What a gift to know you. 

Bride. What a lovely sound.
What joy.

I know not how to give wisdom to you from this point.
I cannot speak of what makes a good wife.
Or what advice to give based on experience.


What I can do however, is share a few things I have admired in couples that I am privileged to know.
Whose relationships have become the standard for which I continue to wait for.
And from this wisdom I will do as I have always loved to do.
Share with you the best of life.
In hopes of it adding into the foundation that has been laid by the love, wisdom and direction from your parents, family and friends.

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. 
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Eccles. 4:12

Always be friends.

Never forget how to laugh.
Take time to always cherish the things you appreciate in one another and say so, often.


Pray.
For one another.
And together.

...Do not let the 
sun go down while you are still angry
Eph 4:26


May this day truly be all you have dreamed, hoped and planned it to be.
Enjoy every second.

How funny to find that a chasm, that once separated us by years, is now a manifest reality of distance that separates us.
Know I am there with you in my heart and spirit.
I am cheering you on as you enter into this beautiful new season.I can only imagine how radiant you will be.
I love you.

Your forever friend & cousin,
Sheena 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Leaves

"I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end."   ~Jo March,  Louisa May Alcott, Little Women. A few years ago, I upgraded to a new-to-me, used iPhone.  The camera was better, the storage slightly larger for my obsessive hobby of taking photos of things that caught my eye during walks.  (Let me be honest, it happened far too often, but then again, it's who I am!) My friend's husband jokingly asked if it came with a photo album of leaves, or something along those lines. To his credit, it was a witty and hilarious joke that reflected a reality and truth, that all who were present knew very well... Sheena sure loved to post photos of leaves. I can't help it, my breath catches and I want to document the moment, the transition and to share it with others.  The difference between today and tomorrow is everything in this season.  So, I don't want to miss this moment, th...

Hello my old friend

Photo by  Hush Naidoo  on  Unsplash    Friday evening coffee with a friend = a decision to drop by the  Blood Donation Clinic first. They called to say they were in town. Having missed the call, I forgot the message. Until the evening rolled around. I messaged my friend. "Should we do our civic duty  and go give blood before coffee?" "My mother is telling me not to be a wuss... so I guess I have to..." After arriving, we have to answer quite a few interesting  questions to confirm eligibility. Next step, they test your hemoglobin levels. To be eligible to donate, your blood must read 125 & over. 'Prick' My finger now flowing just enough for them to take and test. 124. An option to test the other hand. But they must collect enough for two readings. Both readings must be 125+ 127 120 Not able to donate. Leaving the cubicle, hands empty, my friend's eyes take note, register the fact I am withou...

Waiting for Gilbert

The unfolding of something beautiful is sometimes found in the waiting I went for a walk with a friend a while back along the river. Our goal was to find a independently owned coffee shop/tea house at the next town. As we got closer, we discovered that what we were looking for didn't seem to be found anywhere. We contemplated just going into a pub, but thought, 'no there must be something more.' We carried on walking. Hoping. But seeing nothing. We saw the familiar signs. Starbucks, Costa, Nero. Looking at each other... looking to the other, to decide what to do.... 'Do we just cave in, is there any hope of finding what we were looking for.,,?' We decided to give it a few more minutes,walking a bit further. Something caught our eye. No big sign, nothing to suggest this is it, this is what we had been looking for. Just little things to peak our curiosity, little bits of hope arising. As we got to this door we looked in to discover, a unique coffee sho...