Skip to main content

A Christmas Tradition


The more things change the more they stay the same.

Among all the things that are ever changing, I have one childhood tradition that remains.

Upon this one Christmas Tradition, I have discovered a dependable enjoyment.
Each year I watch Gillian Armstrong's(1994)film adaptation of Louise May Alcott's 'Little Women'.
My Christmas would be incomplete without it.


Christmas 2014 watching with Faith
To be completely honest, every time I watch this film, there is a part of me, a small part
That secretly hopes and I can even venture to say believe to be a possibility.
That Jo had made a different choice.
That Beth did not fall ill.

The trouble is, each time I watch, the ending is the same.
And I am left in tears.

But here's the thing.


Every year this story becomes something more to me
A new revelation
A fresh sense of identification to a characters situation or personality.

Missed, gone unheard or not comprehended in the dialogue
I now understand.

Although it has not changed
I have changed.
I am no longer who I was a year ago.

A scene in the film between Jo and her mother finds her confessing a restlessness she wages war with.
In a time of  wanting things to remain as they have always been but discovering they can longer do so.
Change has come and it is out of her control.
The people and roles she has depended upon are shifting and taking on new shape.
Finding herself, those around her and the circumstances changed, this scene takes place.

Jo March: Well, of course Aunt March prefers Amy over me. Why shouldn't she? I'm ugly and awkward and I always say the wrong things. I fly around throwing away perfectly good marriage proposals. I love our home, but I'm just so fitful and I can't stand being here! I'm sorry, I'm sorry Marmee. There's just something really wrong with me. I want to change, but I - I can't. And I just know I'll never fit in anywhere.
Marmee March: Oh, Jo. Jo, you have so many extraordinary gifts; how can you expect to lead an ordinary life? You're ready to go out and - and find a good use for your talent. Tho' I don't know what I shall do without my Jo. Go, and embrace your liberty. And see what wonderful things come of it.
                                                                                                          (1994 'Little Women' )

Marmee, with calm clarity and wisdom delivers such a power and empowering response. I love how she sees her daughter in the truest light.
Despite it all, Marmee helps her see the truth and helps her take the next step forward.

With the exception of throwing away good marriage proposals,  in the more recent past I have identified with Jo in this confession.

The struggle against comparing yourself with those closest to you and finding you fall short to met what you hoped you could become. 

The desire for something more but the comfort of familiarity all too appealing. 
The pain at seeing people change around you and finding that you have been left behind. 
A restlessness and adventurous spirit that stirs within, but scares you.
Knowing you could be so much more, but not knowing how or what is needed to be done to do so.

This film is a great point of reflection for me each year. 
A way to look back and thank God for the gift of growth & maturity and those who have helped in that process.
His continued grace at work in our lives is something to celebrate this season. 


I love this story of 4 sisters. 
Living life in a difficult era.
All at differing stages of life. 
Discovering each one to be an individual not just a March sister.

What Christmas Film from your childhood grows with you? 
Gillian Armstrong's 'Little Women', 1994







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Leaves

"I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end."   ~Jo March,  Louisa May Alcott, Little Women. A few years ago, I upgraded to a new-to-me, used iPhone.  The camera was better, the storage slightly larger for my obsessive hobby of taking photos of things that caught my eye during walks.  (Let me be honest, it happened far too often, but then again, it's who I am!) My friend's husband jokingly asked if it came with a photo album of leaves, or something along those lines. To his credit, it was a witty and hilarious joke that reflected a reality and truth, that all who were present knew very well... Sheena sure loved to post photos of leaves. I can't help it, my breath catches and I want to document the moment, the transition and to share it with others.  The difference between today and tomorrow is everything in this season.  So, I don't want to miss this moment, th...

Hello my old friend

Photo by  Hush Naidoo  on  Unsplash    Friday evening coffee with a friend = a decision to drop by the  Blood Donation Clinic first. They called to say they were in town. Having missed the call, I forgot the message. Until the evening rolled around. I messaged my friend. "Should we do our civic duty  and go give blood before coffee?" "My mother is telling me not to be a wuss... so I guess I have to..." After arriving, we have to answer quite a few interesting  questions to confirm eligibility. Next step, they test your hemoglobin levels. To be eligible to donate, your blood must read 125 & over. 'Prick' My finger now flowing just enough for them to take and test. 124. An option to test the other hand. But they must collect enough for two readings. Both readings must be 125+ 127 120 Not able to donate. Leaving the cubicle, hands empty, my friend's eyes take note, register the fact I am withou...

Waiting for Gilbert

The unfolding of something beautiful is sometimes found in the waiting I went for a walk with a friend a while back along the river. Our goal was to find a independently owned coffee shop/tea house at the next town. As we got closer, we discovered that what we were looking for didn't seem to be found anywhere. We contemplated just going into a pub, but thought, 'no there must be something more.' We carried on walking. Hoping. But seeing nothing. We saw the familiar signs. Starbucks, Costa, Nero. Looking at each other... looking to the other, to decide what to do.... 'Do we just cave in, is there any hope of finding what we were looking for.,,?' We decided to give it a few more minutes,walking a bit further. Something caught our eye. No big sign, nothing to suggest this is it, this is what we had been looking for. Just little things to peak our curiosity, little bits of hope arising. As we got to this door we looked in to discover, a unique coffee sho...