Skip to main content

Farewell to the days of innocence...

And so the death of something once filled with life is certain.
The place in which I spent many a summer, has now officially closed it's doors and will be turned into something new.

When you attach a memory to possessions and things, there is a form of grief that finds you when you discover it's absence.
No matter how much you tell yourself to be logical about it, emotions have a way of creeping to the surface to find themselves mixing with memories.


Reminiscing


Indulging in the moments that live only in our memories.

When your cabin is still awake well into the morning hours, recalling the events of the day; laughing over the pranks played; revealing the names of the boys we had crushes on; eating the candy we hid away from our counsellors.

The late night toilet runs across the fields, trying desperately not to wet yourself because you are utterly afraid of the dark and all that may be hidden behind the trees.
The storms that kept us awake and found us sharing bunks for comfort from the loud crashing thunder.

The elaborate sand sculptures we envisioned and created.
Dressing our counselors up for dinner in ridiculous outfits.
The Campfire skits and silly songs sung at the top of our lungs.
'You can't ride in my little red wagon.."


The list is endless and as I recall each moment, joy and sadness mingle upon my face. 
Both smiling and tearing up, for what was and what will never be again. 


-------------------------------------- 
No longer can you find yourself lost in the place that was filled with so much life.
To try and repossess & recapture the feelings of joy and innocence.
To know what it felt like to laugh without care, to dream endlessly.
Untouched by the challenges that adulthood has brought.

Cabins.
Unimpressive square buildings.
4 bunks, 8 beds.
No insulation = Cold at night & hot in the day.
The only hope of air conditioning = a cross breeze.
That is if you were lucky enough to pry the top window open and to wish desperately for the shade of the tree to find it's way to your cabin during the heat of the day.


(Photo credit: Amanda J)
My home for a week (or 2 in my teen years) every summer for 20+ years.

It is just a place. 
But I can't help but think something has been lost that will never be rediscovered. 
I am so grateful for the years spent at Camp and for the people
that made it what it was for so many of us.


'Fare thee well, my beloved friend...my heart will ever be faithful to thee."

-Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables. 

Perhaps a bit dramatic.. but still a favourite quote! :)




Katie and I on our way to camp 2007            Amanda and Meagan at counsellors night out

Camp fire

 
Harold and Dad at the Tuck Shop 
Amanda, the Queen of the Tuck Shop and the determiner of cabin order based on tidiness.
Early morning light 

Neda and I at the Beach on counsellors night out.
Camp fire skits!
Katie and Tim as our Talent show MC.

Uncle Art trying the homemade slip and slide = success 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Leaves

"I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end."   ~Jo March,  Louisa May Alcott, Little Women. A few years ago, I upgraded to a new-to-me, used iPhone.  The camera was better, the storage slightly larger for my obsessive hobby of taking photos of things that caught my eye during walks.  (Let me be honest, it happened far too often, but then again, it's who I am!) My friend's husband jokingly asked if it came with a photo album of leaves, or something along those lines. To his credit, it was a witty and hilarious joke that reflected a reality and truth, that all who were present knew very well... Sheena sure loved to post photos of leaves. I can't help it, my breath catches and I want to document the moment, the transition and to share it with others.  The difference between today and tomorrow is everything in this season.  So, I don't want to miss this moment, th...

Hello my old friend

Photo by  Hush Naidoo  on  Unsplash    Friday evening coffee with a friend = a decision to drop by the  Blood Donation Clinic first. They called to say they were in town. Having missed the call, I forgot the message. Until the evening rolled around. I messaged my friend. "Should we do our civic duty  and go give blood before coffee?" "My mother is telling me not to be a wuss... so I guess I have to..." After arriving, we have to answer quite a few interesting  questions to confirm eligibility. Next step, they test your hemoglobin levels. To be eligible to donate, your blood must read 125 & over. 'Prick' My finger now flowing just enough for them to take and test. 124. An option to test the other hand. But they must collect enough for two readings. Both readings must be 125+ 127 120 Not able to donate. Leaving the cubicle, hands empty, my friend's eyes take note, register the fact I am withou...

Waiting for Gilbert

The unfolding of something beautiful is sometimes found in the waiting I went for a walk with a friend a while back along the river. Our goal was to find a independently owned coffee shop/tea house at the next town. As we got closer, we discovered that what we were looking for didn't seem to be found anywhere. We contemplated just going into a pub, but thought, 'no there must be something more.' We carried on walking. Hoping. But seeing nothing. We saw the familiar signs. Starbucks, Costa, Nero. Looking at each other... looking to the other, to decide what to do.... 'Do we just cave in, is there any hope of finding what we were looking for.,,?' We decided to give it a few more minutes,walking a bit further. Something caught our eye. No big sign, nothing to suggest this is it, this is what we had been looking for. Just little things to peak our curiosity, little bits of hope arising. As we got to this door we looked in to discover, a unique coffee sho...