Skip to main content

No Shortcuts

Work smarter, not harder.
Wisdom that has served me well in many an instance.

However, a shortcut may seem like the best decision, the easiest option and even perhaps the smartest choice.

But what if the blessing is found in the delay?
Or in the journey that takes more time?

What if the landscape along the longer route lends itself to invoking creativity, that only finds its inspiration in the beholding of its view?

What if the courage you will need one day, comes from the obstacles faced along the route that are more complex in its landscape? 

What if the only way to learn to navigate the roadblocks in life come from learning to read the map along the way?

Why do we despise the delay?
Why do we find frustration in taking more time to end up where we intend to be?

Shortcuts. 
Are they truly the easier option?
Or could they inhibit the process of preparing us for our destination in the most beneficial and beautiful way. 
Could they cost us more in the end, having not prepared us for what lies ahead?

Is there not much to be discovered along the way?
Lessons and skills we may gain that will serve us greater in life.

I don’t want the shortcuts in life to rob me of the things that will build my character, strength my arms, open my heart, train my eyes to see clearly and teach me to appreciate the things that are often missed and undervalued. 

As painful sometimes as the delay may be, I am learning to be grateful for the invaluable lessons, skills, people and experiences that are helping shape me into the woman I aspire to be. 
To be more like Jesus. 
To learn to love more fully.
To learn to be gracious and kind.
To value what truly matters.

Here’s to the next part of the journey and the strength to resist taking shortcuts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Leaves

"I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end."   ~Jo March,  Louisa May Alcott, Little Women. A few years ago, I upgraded to a new-to-me, used iPhone.  The camera was better, the storage slightly larger for my obsessive hobby of taking photos of things that caught my eye during walks.  (Let me be honest, it happened far too often, but then again, it's who I am!) My friend's husband jokingly asked if it came with a photo album of leaves, or something along those lines. To his credit, it was a witty and hilarious joke that reflected a reality and truth, that all who were present knew very well... Sheena sure loved to post photos of leaves. I can't help it, my breath catches and I want to document the moment, the transition and to share it with others.  The difference between today and tomorrow is everything in this season.  So, I don't want to miss this moment, th...

Hello my old friend

Photo by  Hush Naidoo  on  Unsplash    Friday evening coffee with a friend = a decision to drop by the  Blood Donation Clinic first. They called to say they were in town. Having missed the call, I forgot the message. Until the evening rolled around. I messaged my friend. "Should we do our civic duty  and go give blood before coffee?" "My mother is telling me not to be a wuss... so I guess I have to..." After arriving, we have to answer quite a few interesting  questions to confirm eligibility. Next step, they test your hemoglobin levels. To be eligible to donate, your blood must read 125 & over. 'Prick' My finger now flowing just enough for them to take and test. 124. An option to test the other hand. But they must collect enough for two readings. Both readings must be 125+ 127 120 Not able to donate. Leaving the cubicle, hands empty, my friend's eyes take note, register the fact I am withou...

Waiting for Gilbert

The unfolding of something beautiful is sometimes found in the waiting I went for a walk with a friend a while back along the river. Our goal was to find a independently owned coffee shop/tea house at the next town. As we got closer, we discovered that what we were looking for didn't seem to be found anywhere. We contemplated just going into a pub, but thought, 'no there must be something more.' We carried on walking. Hoping. But seeing nothing. We saw the familiar signs. Starbucks, Costa, Nero. Looking at each other... looking to the other, to decide what to do.... 'Do we just cave in, is there any hope of finding what we were looking for.,,?' We decided to give it a few more minutes,walking a bit further. Something caught our eye. No big sign, nothing to suggest this is it, this is what we had been looking for. Just little things to peak our curiosity, little bits of hope arising. As we got to this door we looked in to discover, a unique coffee sho...