Skip to main content

It's that time of year



Oh it's that time of year again.
When I get all excited for a nice night in, wearing comfy clothes, a huge mug of hot chocolate in hand, curled up on the couch by candle light watching my all time favourite 'Christmas movie'. 
I am not sure it would be considered a Christmas movie per say, but they do always air it around the end of November. 
I guess I could blame my aunt for this one. She started a lot of my movie habits. :)
'Little Women' has held a dear place in my heart since I was young, and now it just doesn't seem like Christmas without having it as a part of my December.
Just before I crossed the pond I had the joy of going over to my aunts for one of our sleepover movie weekends. Her daughter-in-law was able to join us and her oldest granddaughter was able to steal away from her busy life as well. We decided upon 'Little Women' to my delight. I would not be deprived of watching it this year! You have to understand, I have seen this movie countless times. I can almost recite it all as it goes along. (Which most do find annoying, sorry! haha) 
This time however, it spoke to me in a way it had not in the past. I identified with the character of Jo March in a way I had never done before. And so I will share the dialogue between Jo and her mother as they discuss Jo's frustration with her life, because so much of what she said was what was going on in my head (with the exception of the marriage proposal, of course... haha) as I was making my decision to come to England.


Jo March: Well, of course Aunt March prefers Amy over me. Why shouldn't she? I'm ugly and awkward and I always say the wrong things. I fly around throwing away perfectly good marriage proposals. I love our home, but I'm just so fitful and I can't stand being here! I'm sorry, I'm sorry Marmee. There's just something really wrong with me. I want to change, but I - I can't. And I just know I'll never fit in anywhere.

Marmee March: Oh, Jo. Jo, you have so many extraordinary gifts; how can you expect to lead an ordinary life? You're ready to go out and - and find a good use for your talent. Tho' I don't know what I shall do without my Jo. Go, and embrace your liberty. And see what wonderful things come of it. 

Jo's adventure took her to New York. A place that was unknown, unfamiliar, in almost every way. But by taking the step she met people that would help form her into the young woman she was to become. She engaged in conversation with people whose lives journey were vastly different from her own. And in these new found friends, she discovered the gift of differences; education, literature, conversation topics and friendly debates. She was enriched by them, and this gift of new experience came by spreading her wings and jumping from the nest that had been so comfortable and familiar

I love how her mother, said "You're ready to go out and - and find a good use for your talent" 
I think we are all searching for what our role is in this life, using what God has gifted us in, and equipped us with. And sometimes it comes by allowing yourself to be separated by those who love you and want the best for you, but sometimes place expectations on you that feel like a burden to bear, and bring about discontentment. 

But in Jo's heart, home always remained. And nothing could ever come in and replace it, or take it away. It would always be a part of her, beckoning to her for whenever the time came to return, if ever her heart should desire.
Home. It will always be an option. I love that we are able to gain so much by separating ourselves from it and forcing ourselves out of our comfort zone.  And upon returning we are just a better version of ourselves, with new found interests, experiences, lessons learned, adventures had, and friends made, and now stories to share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Leaves

"I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end."   ~Jo March,  Louisa May Alcott, Little Women. A few years ago, I upgraded to a new-to-me, used iPhone.  The camera was better, the storage slightly larger for my obsessive hobby of taking photos of things that caught my eye during walks.  (Let me be honest, it happened far too often, but then again, it's who I am!) My friend's husband jokingly asked if it came with a photo album of leaves, or something along those lines. To his credit, it was a witty and hilarious joke that reflected a reality and truth, that all who were present knew very well... Sheena sure loved to post photos of leaves. I can't help it, my breath catches and I want to document the moment, the transition and to share it with others.  The difference between today and tomorrow is everything in this season.  So, I don't want to miss this moment, th...

Hello my old friend

Photo by  Hush Naidoo  on  Unsplash    Friday evening coffee with a friend = a decision to drop by the  Blood Donation Clinic first. They called to say they were in town. Having missed the call, I forgot the message. Until the evening rolled around. I messaged my friend. "Should we do our civic duty  and go give blood before coffee?" "My mother is telling me not to be a wuss... so I guess I have to..." After arriving, we have to answer quite a few interesting  questions to confirm eligibility. Next step, they test your hemoglobin levels. To be eligible to donate, your blood must read 125 & over. 'Prick' My finger now flowing just enough for them to take and test. 124. An option to test the other hand. But they must collect enough for two readings. Both readings must be 125+ 127 120 Not able to donate. Leaving the cubicle, hands empty, my friend's eyes take note, register the fact I am withou...

Waiting for Gilbert

The unfolding of something beautiful is sometimes found in the waiting I went for a walk with a friend a while back along the river. Our goal was to find a independently owned coffee shop/tea house at the next town. As we got closer, we discovered that what we were looking for didn't seem to be found anywhere. We contemplated just going into a pub, but thought, 'no there must be something more.' We carried on walking. Hoping. But seeing nothing. We saw the familiar signs. Starbucks, Costa, Nero. Looking at each other... looking to the other, to decide what to do.... 'Do we just cave in, is there any hope of finding what we were looking for.,,?' We decided to give it a few more minutes,walking a bit further. Something caught our eye. No big sign, nothing to suggest this is it, this is what we had been looking for. Just little things to peak our curiosity, little bits of hope arising. As we got to this door we looked in to discover, a unique coffee sho...